Before starting with this recipe I would like to clarify two things:
- I.m still in my personal photography odissey.
- I could write a book only with lemon recipes.
And now, let´s move on to what it matters… Some weeks ago a good friend of mine gave me an American recipe´s book: Lost recipes and with this lemon pudding cake was simply love at first sight.
The concept of pudding is not really clear in the Spanish cuisine but over my years of TGBBO addiction I´m getting to understand. This pudding in particular is a mix between sponge and custard: creamy on the base and spongy on the top as you can see in the pic.
Another aspect to consider when you face an American recipe is having a coversion chart within reach but here I made the work for you!
- 3 eggs, whites and yolks separated
- lemon zest
- 80 ml lemon juice
- 300ml milk
- 125 gr plain flour
- 100 gr+2tbs sugar ( if you are sweet tooth and not very keen on sharpness add more sugar)
- 55 gr melted butter
- icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven at 180º and choose two compatible baking trays for bath Marie: one should be slightly bigger than the other. I chose two with oval shape and only butter the smaller.
- Whisk the white eggs until they are shiny but no need for picks. Your work will be easier with a pinch of salt and 2 tbs of sugar.
- Mix well the rest of the ingredients and combine with the white eggs trying to keep the air the contain.
- Put the mix into the buttered tray, then this tray into the bigger and fill with hot water for bath Marie.
- Bake for 30 or 40 minutes and if it gets too brown cover with foil.
You can serve as a dessert warm or cold, with cream or icecream.
I hope you like this recipe which is really easy and yummy!